Saturday, March 5, 2011

self reflection

I had an AHA moment when reading about portfolios in Straight Talk for Today's Teacher.  My student teaching experience has shown me the importance of being self-reflective as a teacher. Each day I try to think about what went right and what went wrong with the lesson. I know that I have learned a lot from this but hadn't really thought about encouraging students to be self-reflective. I've heard a lot about having students self-assess but until I read about it this week I didn't put it together that being self-reflective can be just as important for the students as it is to me as a teacher. My supervising teacher is very good at this. There are two students who are working to achieve goals such as being more organized or staying on task. These students have to rate themselves on how they did both in the morning and in the afternoon every day  then she also gives them a rating. What a great way to make them more aware of how they are doing and what may and may not be working for them.

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea. Talk about self-assessment! You have just told me a lot about what kind of teacher you are becoming-a great one. A great teacher is never just done with a lesson. She/he stews over it-like a mother hen her chicks. Always looking to make it better. Congrat's!
    2pts.
    Iona

    ReplyDelete