Saturday, March 19, 2011

First Grade...a different world

This was my first full week in the first grade class. I have to say, I really like it. I always thought that first graders would be to needy and babyish. There are some things I have done in first grade that I never had to do in 4th; I have tied several shoes, pulled hair up into ponytails multiple times, and had to use a rubber band to help a youngster keep her pants up. I didn't mind doing these things, and I think they helped me develop a relationship with some of the students. Building a good relationship now will help me when I start teaching next week. What has really surprised me is how quickly I have forgotten how young they are. I have been thinking a lot about this and have decided that the reason I forget how young they are is because they are living up to high expectations set by their teacher. Students are expected to push their seats in and come quietly to the carpet when they hear the music. Students are expected to be good listeners when another student is sharing during share time in the morning. Students are expected to use good manners by saying please, thank you, yes maam and no maam. The expectations don't end with behavior, however, these students are expected to write (a lot) and to increase their stamina by reading quietly for extended periods of time.  It is very neat to see the students know the expectations, and live up to them.

Gone are the days of endlessly cutting, pasting, and coloring in first grade. Don't get me wrong, there are times when students do these things, but they are using these things to learn how to create bar graphs, and illustrate stories they have written themselves. These activities are merely tools (and ones that aren't used very often) to be better readers, writers and mathematicians.

I had an idea of first grade being a lot like babysitting. The students in my class never cease to amaze me with the thinking and problem solving they are capable of.  The main thing I took away from this week is that you should never limit students by assuming what they are capable of doing and that setting high standards and expectations for children leads to higher accomplishments and learning by the students.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. You are also witnessing a great teacher that has trained them to do these things. I know you will want to pick her brain about how she took them and molded them to this point. They are needy, but in a different way than 4th or 5th. But they are also so fresh! You will never ever be bored-because everything is so new for them!
    2pts/2pts
    Iona

    ReplyDelete