Thursday, February 3, 2011

What I've learned this week

This week has been a learning experience. As I'm getting into teaching science, I have learned that you have to be VERY clear about the directions. I thought I was being clear but two times this week the students didn't quite seem to understand what they were supposed to be doing. Since this never happens with my supervising teacher, I must assume it was my fault and not the students'. When I looked back on it, I can see in both cases that I needed to have the attention of the students before I started explaining and that I needed to model what I wanted them to do. Then the final step...which I may not have done so well was, to make sure they understood the directions.

1 comment:

  1. You have had two very important lessons. Understanding the importance of checking for understanding and the value of building rapport with the students. Like it or not we have to prove to them we are worthy. They have to feel safe with us. This all takes time. They have to know we will be the same today, tomorrow and in the future. For some students it is their only constant. Great reflection. Don't forget to tie in this course's text that you are reading.
    1pt/2pts
    Iona

    ReplyDelete